Position: Policy Associate
Status: Full-time, permanent
Reports to: Strategic Partnerships Lead
Language(s): English and French
Location: Ottawa, ON
Salary range: $60,000-70,000 CAD
Deadline for Applications: November 6, 2020 by 5:00 pm EST
HISTORY IN THE MAKING
Imagine a fund as revolutionary and resourceful as feminist movements themselves. Sustainable. Scalable. Shifting resources and power to women far into the future. We are the Equality Fund. Powered by Canada and ready to change the world.
Backed by a $300 million CAD contribution from the Canadian government, and inspired by the radical ambition of feminist movements, we are building the largest self-sustaining fund for women in the world. Shaped by leaders from every sector, this new funding model will harness gender-lens investing and bold, multi-sector philanthropy to unlock the full potential of capital to support a gender equal future.
We are looking for a strong planner, creative thinker, and motivated feminist international policy analyst interested in supporting the Equality Fund’s mission to shift resources and power to women’s rights organizations and feminist movements globally. Building on their already strong understanding of gender analysis, feminist foreign policy, and global feminist movements, the Policy Associate will support team initiatives (coordination and logistics), contribute to building partnerships, and engage in policy analysis in a fast-paced environment as a part of the team leading on Equality Fund’s Policy and Strategic Partnerships work.
SCOPE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analysis: Conduct rigorous analysis of global feminist funding patterns, trends in official development spending (including blended and innovative finance), foreign policy issues, and other related themes - all with a feminist lens.
- Writing: Draft and contribute to a wide range of documents and products including proposals, op-eds, internal background notes, policy briefs, and talking points.
- Event planning/logistics: Organize and coordinate events, support other staff, coordinate travel, and ensure the smooth running of the policy/partnerships team.
- Convening/facilitating: Support in bringing together diverse stakeholders and allies to develop common strategies and positions.
- Communicate: Support with the communication of policy and advocacy messages to diverse audiences via multiple platforms
- Collaborate: Participate in a dynamic team that works in a challenging and ever changing environment.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Masters Degree in Development Studies, Women’s Studies, Global Studies, International Relations or related area;
- 3-5 years of experience in international development work, policy work or related;
- Strong understanding of global development policies, institutions, and trends, with strong gender analysis across these;
- Understanding of global feminist movements, networks and organizations;
- Familiarity and experience working with feminist analysis, principles and organizations;
- Understanding of Canadian government policy environment, including GBA+ approaches;
- Commitment to anti-racist practice and to realizing intersectional feminist approaches;
- Experience working within feminist funding organizations an asset;
- Experience working in the global South;
- Training /facilitation skills OR social media experience;
- Experience organizing meetings, webinars, events;
- Strong research skills;
- Strong conceptual skills and intellectual curiosity;
- Excellent written and communications skills, including research reports, briefing notes;
- Experience writing grant proposals an asset;
- Fluently bilingual in French/ English;
- Fluent in language other than French and English an asset;
- The ability to thrive in a fast paced and complex environment is essential. You are able juggle multiple priorities, navigate changing realities and work effectively with a range of styles and approaches;
- We are radical in our optimism and ambition. Your ability to think creatively, bust silos, inspire others and forge connections will enable your success.
OUR ENVIRONMENT OF CARE
- We trust our talented team and are pleased to offer an extremely flexible and virtual work environment where staff can work from home or in person as desired.
- We adhere to feminist values. We believe in sharing power and creating space for everyone to lead. We value collaboration, self care, inclusion and empathy towards all team members.
- The Equality Fund is proud to offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package which includes 4 weeks paid vacation, paid sick time, parental leave top up, medical benefits, life insurance, Group RRSP, paid birthday off and more!
The Equality Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We believe deeply in equality and diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, disability, and all other protected grounds under the Ontario Human Rights Code. We welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds and abilities, and are committed to providing an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please indicate this in your application.
At the Equality Fund, we do not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. All offers of employment are conditional upon signing our code of conduct, satisfactory reference checks and may be subject to appropriate screening checks.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with the Equality Fund; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.