Position: Governance Liaison Officer
Status: Full-time, permanent
Reports to: Director, Strategy & Innovation
Language(s): English required, French an asset
Location: Ottawa or Toronto, ON, Canada
Deadline for Applications: November 22, 2019 at 5:00 pm EST
This is a historic moment in the global fight for equality. Women’s organizations and movements in Canada and around the world are on the frontlines of change—holding the line, demanding equality and driving transformation. The opportunity has never been greater to boldly invest in their brave work to build a more equal world together.
The Equality Fund is a groundbreaking collaboration that will deliver new momentum for women’s movements across the globe. The Equality Fund (formerly The MATCH International Women’s Fund) will drive the cultural, economic and political changes required to make global gender equality a reality. We will shift power and resources to local organizations and leaders on the frontlines of building and sustaining a more gender equal world. We will mobilize philanthropic and investment capital, in Canada and beyond, and build a brighter, more equitable future for everyone, everywhere. Welcome to the Equality Fund.
The Equality Fund is made possible in partnership with the Government of Canada.
We are in the process of recruiting a Governance Liaison Officer to oversee all governance functions as we work towards designing and building a feminist governance model.
Reporting to the Director, Strategy & Innovation, the Governance Liaison Officer is responsible for managing and administering all activities of the Equality Fund Board, Board sub-committees, steering committee and other Equality Fund consortium working groups/committees. The incumbent is responsible for maintaining official corporate records and ensuring compliance/adherence to Bylaws and governing policies.
SCOPE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides the Board Chair, committee chairs, consortium partners and the organization with governance expertise and takes ownership for all governance functions;
- In consultation with the Director Strategy & Innovation, initiates the setting of meeting dates, develops and tracks required agenda content, takes effective meeting minutes and ensures follow through of actions coming out of meetings. Oversees the logistics of meetings (room bookings, teleconference details, invites, catering, material preparation etc.) and facilitates the regular flow of information/communication with the Board/committees/partners as required;
- Plays a key role in initiating and documenting all governance and compliance requirements related to the transition from the MATCH Fund Board to the new Equality Fund Board; plays a key role in defining and supporting the relationship and interdependencies of the Board and the steering committee;
- In consultation with appropriate colleagues and Board/Committee volunteers, develops and ensures adherence to committee terms of reference and work plans;
- Triggers and supports the planning, timing and implementation of various governance processes: nominations & recruitment, orientation, annual assessment, ongoing development etc.;
- Provides support to and plays key liaison role with consortium partners in order to facilitate communication, meetings and key deliverables among the various joint decision-making bodies;
- Monitors and ensures ongoing compliance, review and development of corporate bylaws, procedures, policies and other governance/regulatory requirements of the Equality Fund;
- Provides research and background information to assist the Board and various decision-making bodies in developing policies.
- Liaises with governance legal counsel as required;
- Effectively maintains corporate records and institutional memory related to governance and provides detailed documentation for the annual audit process as required; ensures appropriate director information/paperwork is acquired and securely stored;
- Facilitates the annual/regular submission of governance and compliance documents to the appropriate government authorities;
- Supports and administers Board and committee member travel and expenses related to Equality Fund meetings and business; ensures the efficient processing of invoices and oversees annual governance budget;
- Maintains the governance sections of the website and in Equality Fund collateral as appropriate.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Post secondary degree in business, law, board governance or related field of experience;
- 5+ years of legal/governance experience is required;
- Proven track record in supporting Boards and committees with a solid understanding of governance structures and best practices;
- Solid organizational skills, including attention to detail and accuracy;
- Demonstrated diplomacy and discretion in handling delicate and highly confidential matters;
- Excellent verbal/written communications;
- Strong and professional interpersonal skills, and ability to interact with staff at all levels, including executive level management and members of the Board of Directors;
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), as well as Gmail, Google drive;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high paced environment with demanding deadlines while managing various projects;
- Bilingual English/ French considered an asset
- Openness to work on cross functional/multi-disciplinary teams
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing priorities, to steer in new/different directions
- Can do/Anything is possible mindset!
The Equality Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion in our work and in our staff team. We are fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other qualities that make us unique.
If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.